MANILA, Philippines — Carl Jammes Martin announced that his match against Japanese Jun Ikegawa will no longer push through after suffering a rib injury.
The 23-year-old super bantamweight boxer on Thursday bared the bad news on his Facebook, saying he suffered a setback during his training ahead of their undercard match of John Riel Casimero vs. Fillipus Nghitumbwa on May 13 at Okada Manila Hotel.
“I am saddened to announce that I suffered from a rib injury during our hard training last Sunday. According to the doctor, I have to undergo two months of rehab with no activities,” wrote Martin in Filipino.
“Because of this, I will no longer fight on May 13. For now, the negotiation between Team Wonderboy and Tressure promotion is still ongoing,” he added.
Martin, who joined Probellum in March 2022, is unbeaten in 21 matches with 17 knockouts. He won all three matches last year against Ronnie Baldonado, Charles Tondo, and Komgrich Nantapech.
He was supposed to face Ikegawa, who holds four wins and two draws.
Martin vows to come back stronger from his rib injury.
“Just like all of you, I am saddened to miss the opportunity to fight in the said boxing event. Expect me and my team to do everything to recover quickly from this injury,” he said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.